Rabu, 20 Juni 2018

Sponsored Links

I-84 East Through Hartford, CT - YouTube
src: i.ytimg.com

Interstate 84 is the east-west Interstate highway across Connecticut state through Danbury, Waterbury, Hartford and Union.


Video Interstate 84 in Connecticut



Route description

I-84 entered Danbury from the city of Southeast, New York, and was named as Yankee Expressway for the next 62 km (100 km). About 3.5 miles (5.6 km) to the east, US 7 joins from the south at exit 3 near Danbury Fair Mall when I-84 turns north. At the next exit, US 6 and 202 combine to form a four-way concurrency for the next three miles (4.8 km) for exit 7, when US 7 and US 202 are separated from north to New Milford. US 6 left Interstate on the next exit, as I-84 climbed away from Danbury to the more rural towns of Bethel, and Brookfield.

US 6 rejoins I-84 at exit 10, and at exit 11, turns northeast and descends to cross the Housatonic River at Rochambeau Bridge, to New Haven County. After US 6 leaves once again at exit 15 in Southbury, I-84 proceeds through hilly terrain to Middlebury, becoming more of an urban highway as it enters the town of Waterbury, where it intersects Route 8 and crossing the River Naugatuck on an elevated dual-decked viaduct known locally as The Mixmaster. After passing through Cheshire, I-84 cut off the western tip of I-691 in the Cheshire-Southington city line, which is also the New Haven-Hartford county line.

I-84 turns further north for stretching out 31 (Route 229), which provides access to Lake Compounce Amusement Park and ESPN World Headquarters. The freeway leads further east to Plainville, where it has a 0.5 mile (0.80 km) distance with Route 72 to the New Britain city line. From the intersection of 72 Routes through Farmington, West Hartford, and to Hartford, I-84 has many exits and left entrances and sharp curves, built for planned highway networks. In Farmington, US 6 merged with I-84 once again at exit 38, and both met with the northern end of the Route 9 highway on a stack of half-used multi-level stacks that were originally planned to be part of I-canceled most of the 291 Hartford Beltway. I-84 and US 6 passed West Hartford to Hartford (the largest city along the eastern I-84) where they intersected I-91, just before 44 AS briefly merged to cross the Connecticut River to East Hartford at Bulkeley Bridge, the oldest bridge on the Interstate system.

After the bridge, US 44 leaves, the name of the highway turns into Lieutenant Brian L. Aselton Memorial Highway, and I-84 meets with 2 express lines, which provide access to Hartford's southeast suburbs. When I-84 passes the northern end of the Route 15 highway, it inherits the name of the Wilbur Cross Highway for the remainder of its length. From 1968 to 1984, the designation of I-84 ended here, and the highway became I-86 for the remainder of its length, as I-84 was planned to be built east of Providence, Rhode Island. The I-84 cut off one of the remainder of the abandoned project, the I-384, as part of a 3-mile (4.8 km) interchange circuit in Manchester including the end of the 6th US concurrency at exit 60, and the only connection to that built as part of I-291 planned at exit 61.

Outside Manchester, I-84 went up from the Connecticut River Valley and through the towns of Tolland, Vernon, Tolland, and Willington. After briefly entering the town of Windham County, Ashford, he re-entered Tolland County in the city of Union. After exit 74 (Route 171), I-84 crosses the state line of Massachusetts. All trails eventually enter Sturbridge, but the west path passes briefly through the town of Holland before entering Sturbridge. Eight miles (13 km) later, I-84 reached the east terminal at the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90).

Maps Interstate 84 in Connecticut



History

1970's route

The highway connecting Hartford and Providence was first built in 1944 as an upgrade to US 6 from Manchester to the Rhode Island state line. The plan was finally adapted to the 1956 Interstate Highway Plan, but was rejected. It was handed back in the 1968 plan, and given along with the other 1,500 miles from the Interstate.

The highway was first set up as Interstate 82 , but was changed shortly after its famous title, Interstate 84 . In 1970 to 1973, the first segment of the highway began construction, a segment now designated as I-384, and Bypass Willimantic. When these isolated segments are completed, they are designated for the future Interstate, very different from today's signs. The signs remain in the Willimantic Bypass until a decade after the cancellation of the project.

The planned I-84 will also incorporate the cloverleaf junction with I-295 in Johnston, Rhode Island, and use the Dennis J. Roberts Expressway built under construction and build the Huntington Expressway to Providence before the project is suspended. In short, there is the idea of ​​using the south/unused portion of the highway for Interstate 184 , but not FHA approved.

An environmental study by RIDOT conducted in 1973, found the highway will cause severe impact to the Scituate Reservoir, the drinking supply to Providence. After several other studies, Rhode Island finally canceled their road segment in 1982, which eventually led Connecticut to cut the segment to I-395 at Plainfield. Without Rhode Island, the highway was completely canceled in 1983, and mileage was returned for other projects.

After the highway was canceled, the only inland route to Providence from Hartford was US 44 or US 6. Many projects have taken place to repair the road, especially in Connecticut. One of the main ones is increasing the "Suicide 6" area on US 6 between Bolton and Columbia. Since the cancellation, other plans to have a highway connection between two constructed segments have been proposed, including one in 2001, but short-lived, lasting until 2003 before becoming inactive.

Although the route was basically set on rocks in Connecticut, many problems remain in Rhode Island, the biggest concern is the major environmental concerns about how the freeway will affect Reservoir Scituate, which is the main drinking water supply for Providence.

In a 1992 long-distance transportation plan issued by the Rhode Island Transportation Department, a highway has been added along the original route of Interstate 84 which will connect to the CT 695 freeway on the Rhode Island-Connecticut border.

I-86 relation

Section I-84 between East Hartford, Connecticut (at the current intersection with Interstate 384) and Sturbridge, Massachusetts (Interstate 90) is for the time signed as Interstate 86 (not related to Interstate 86 currently in New York and Pennsylvania). Signs stating "I-84 Ends, I-86 to Boston" (eastward) and "I-86 Ends, I-84 to Hartford" (westward) posted where the change took place. Out of numbering on I-86 was the path's predecessor, Route 15, in a sequence that began at Hutchinson River Parkway in New York. The exit door was numbered back to match the rest of I-84 in Connecticut when the road was redesigned in 1984. The current I-384 as well as the current US 6 shortcut near Willimantic, both part of what I later- east of the planned 84, was also numbered I-84 before 1984 although they did not have a direct connection to the rest of I-84 at that time. (Somebody has to use the Silver Lane at East Hartford to travel between two highway stretches.) These two sections are re-numbered I-384 and Rte 6 when what I-86 was re-numbered I-84.

Upgrade

Section I-84 in Connecticut was reconstructed and expanded in the 1980s. Other parts via Danbury expanded from 4 lines to 6 lines in 1985 and 1986. The highway spread through Danbury was funded by Union Carbide as part of the construction of its headquarters in Danbury. From about 1976 to 1988, the first section of I-86 from East Hartford to the state line of Massachusetts has been completely rebuilt from a narrow 4-lane parking to a wider profile ranging from 6 lanes in the Massachusetts state line, extending to 8 lanes in Vernon, to the 12-lane HOV line at East Hartford. The original route, later known as Route 15, features a pit latrine in the pull off or rest area. Until 2014 planning is under way for the Hartford I-84 Project to replace and possibly redesign a largely elevated two-mile highway in Hartford. On April 22, 2015, construction began on the widening of the highway from Exit 23 to Exit 25A in Waterbury from 4 lanes to 6 lanes.

A widening project along the crowded I-84 stretch through Waterbury and Cheshire, Connecticut has been hit by cost swelling, delays, and construction defects involving storm channels, when state and federal officials have launched a criminal investigation coming from the project. This episode has diminished local enthusiasm for the proposed $ 5 billion reconstruction of the Mixmaster intersection in downtown Waterbury. Estimated cost for Mixmaster replacement has increased to $ 3 billion. CT Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has initiated a lawsuit against a contractor and an engineering firm in response to threats from DOT AS to withhold funds from the project. On May 18, 2007, Waterbury Republican-American reported this area had a broken lamp post, while Governor M. Jodi Rell released an audit report on construction disasters. A number of DOT personnel were dismissed or reprimanded following the scandal. Meanwhile the FBI and the federal grand jury are investigating the now-defunct construction company and the same DOT officer, which could eventually lead to criminal charges in this case.

File:I-84 Danbury CT Welcome Center-3.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Future

The I-84 Hartford Project is the ConnDOT project to address the structural deficiencies in the I-84 corridor approximately between Flatbush Avenue (exit 45) and I-91 junction at Hartford, including 3,200 feet (980 m) the high part known as the Aetna Viaduct. Since it became clear in the 1980s that section I-84 in Hartford deteriorated, ConnDOT has considered the best way to repair or reconstruct the corridor. Since then, numerous checks have been conducted and frequent improvements are made to keep the highways safe and functioning.

In 2010, the Capitol Regional Governance Council (CRCOG), Hartford City, and ConnDOT collaborated in corridor studies to begin the process of exploring reconstruction options. The study looked at several concepts, including rebuilding bridges over land, as well as several reconstruction alternatives that would alter the road configuration. The alternatives developed for the study are conceptual - they do not look deeply at traffic, technical feasibility, or environmental impact. However, strong stakeholder input as part of the effort was helpful in leading to the CTDOT decision to start the Hartford I-84 Project, to build good work from previous studies. The Hartford I-84 project will be a full and comprehensive evaluation leading to a workable solution. The Hartford I-84 project will examine the feasibility and impact of concepts. After a full examination of the impacts and benefits of viable alternatives, and, in collaboration with stakeholders and the public, ConnDOT will make a final decision on how to reconstruct this section of corridor I-84.

Interstate 84 - Connecticut (Exits 7 to 1) westbound - YouTube
src: i.ytimg.com


Exit list


Connecticut 2 East - Hartford to Glastonbury - AARoads - Connecticut
src: www.aaroads.com


Additional routes


Interstate 84 - Connecticut (Exits 7 to 11) eastbound - YouTube
src: i.ytimg.com


References


Interstate-Guide: Interstate 84 (Western)
src: www.interstate-guide.com


External links


Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments